The Seven Wonders of Water
Are you drinking enough water? Most healthy adults get enough to drink be letting their thirst guide them. But the exact amount you need depends on your size, level of activity, the weather and your general health. You may need more water if you exercise or sweat heavily.
Here are seven benefits of drinking water.:
- Stay Slimmer with Water - Trying to lose weight? Water revs up metabolism and helps you feel full. Replace calorie-filled beverages with water, and drink a glass before meals to help you feel fuller.
- Water Boosts Your Energy - If you're feeling drained and depleted, get a pick-me-up with water. Dehydration makes you feel tired. The right amount of water will help your heart pump your blood more effectively. And water can help your blood transport oxygen and other essential nutrients to your cells.
- Lower Stress with Water - About 70% to 80% of your brain tissue is water. If you dehydrated, your body and your mind are stressed. If you're feeling thirsty, you're already a little dehydrated. To keep stress levels down, keep a glass of water at your desk or carry a sports bottle and sip regularly.
- Build Muscle Tone with Water - Drinking water helps prevent muscle cramping and lubricates joints in the body. When you're well hydrated, you can exercise longer and stronger without "hitting the wall".
- Nourish Your Skin - Fine lines and wrinkles are deeper when you're dehydrated. Water is nature's own beauty cream. Drinking water hydrates skin cells and plumps them up, making your face look younger. It also flushes out impurities and improves circulation and blood flow, helping your skin glow.
- Stay Regular with Water - Along with fiber, water is important for good digestion. Water helps dissolve waste particles and passes them smoothly through your digestive tract. If you're dehydrated, your body absorbs all the water, leaving your colon dry and making it more difficult to pass waste.
- Water Reduces Kidney Stones - The rate of painful kidney stones is rising. One of the reasons could be because people - including children - aren't drinking enough water. Water dilutes the salts and minerals in your urine that form the solid crystals known as kidney stones. Kidney stones can't form in diluted urine, so reduce your risk with plenty of water!
The summer heat is here! The July 4th holiday is looking to be a hot one. Be sure you are getting enough water while enjoying all of you 4th of July activities.
If someone complains to me about a tight muscle, I most likely will suggest using a foam roller. I experience the benefits of foam rolling every day, ever since incorporated into my daily routine after I learned about it 7 years ago. That is why I believe it’s one of the best recovery, rehab, and relaxation tools there is. This Y now has 3 different kinds of rollers to choose from.
You may have ...
We are living in a generation that moves at a fast pace. With technology developing as quickly as it is today, it seems that if we blink or take time to catch our breath, we find ourselves falling behind. We have become accustomed to having what we want when we want it. Microwave popcorn, text messages, drive-thru meals. The cell phone rings and we are needed for something, somewhere. ...
Drowning is the second leading cause of death for children ages 5 to 14, with children from communities of color at greatest risk. With National Water Safety Month in May and summer around the corner, it’s a great time for parents to remember the importance of ensuring their children are equipped with essential water safety skills. The Y offers swim lessons, a program that helps reduce the risk of childhood ...
I heard on a podcast just yesterday that doctors and the healthcare industry as a whole are to blame for the obesity epidemic. Dr. Jason Fung was being interviewed by Chalene Johnson (a health and fitness celebrity) on her podcast, “The Chalene Show”. Dr. Fung is a passionate, self-proclaimed controversial doctor in the area of metabolic disorders and obesity management. I was highly attuned to what he ...